Tuesday, August 7, 2007

4L60E Trouble Installing Solenoids

Surprizing enough, once you think you have heard everything, something new comes along that makes you wonder should this person on the other end of the phone be allowed to work on a transmission. Part of the downside of offering technical assistance over the internet is that you get contacted by those who's little bit of knowledge has got them into big trouble.

During this more than hectic day, with 1 person in my office and another two waiting out in the hallway my phone was violently ringing, and refusing to wait for me to finish my conversation. With an apologetic gesture, I curtailed my conversation, and held my index finger up to those in the hallway to signify, please give me a minute. I slid away a mound of transmission parts, project books, and blueprints ( haven't been blue for 25 years) to get to the angry plastic box with the flashing red lights.

I gave my usual breif introduction and asked what i could do to help. The customer at the other end of the phone rattled off some part numbers of two solenoids he bought to repair his transmission. I confirmed the parts were made by my company, and asked what were his concerns. Expecting to hear of some bizzare service code, or malfunction that he had after he finished his repair job, I was dumbstruck when he said I can't find where to put them in the transmission. " I spent a good hour looking all around the transmission, cept in dem spots i can't see up top" He continued with: "So I took the transmission off of the engine and laid it on the ground so i could see the top side" "I think you-all put the wrong parts in dis box, cause i don't see nothin like this on my transmission"

Politely, I paused and informed the gentleman on the other end of the phone, that the solenoids fit inside the transmission. And you have to remove the transmission pan to get inside. With the pan removed, you can pull off the transmission filter, and you will see a total of six solenoids installed into the valve body. Two of these will match those you have in your hand. ( items A in the image below) I further explained the removal and re assmbly sequence, and suggested he may wish to refer his repair to a qualified transmission shop in his area.
For many shade tree mechanics, this is not a difficult repair, as for this guy, I hope he took his job to someone who knows the solenoids go inside the transmission!
Time to run, I have two people in the hallway waiting for some help.


No comments: